Hawaii Wrongful Death Attorneys
We Have Won Over $1 Billion in Compensation for Clients
When someone’s negligence, wrongful act, or inaction costs another’s life, surviving family members can file a claim for wrongful death against the responsible party.
While no amount of money can make up for the death of a loved one, a wrongful death claim can provide survivors with the sense of justice they deserve, as well as compensation for damages such as:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical expenses incurred prior to death
- Lost income and lost financial support
- Loss of household services
- Loss of companionship and consortium
- Loss of care and guidance
Bostwick & Peterson, LLP is an award-winning trial practice named among U.S. News “Best Law Firms” as a Tier 1 injury and medical malpractice firm. Our lawyers have recovered more than $1 billion in compensation for clients, including millions for families in wrongful death actions.
Examples of our results:
- $21 million verdict for a woman who suffered a mild traumatic brain injury in a truck accident.
- $9.96 million wrongful death settlement against a university clinic that failed to diagnose a cardiac condition and allowed the patient to travel.
- $5 million settlement for the parents of a child killed in an ATV accident at a bible camp.
- $3.5 million settlement over failure to diagnose heart attack.
- $2.75 million over a fatal staircase collapse at an apartment complex.
How Wrongful Death Lawsuits Work in Hawaii
Wrongful death actions are civil claims, meaning they are handled in the civil justice system separate and apart from any criminal case that may involve the defendant(s).
As civil claims, wrongful death actions focus on adjudicating whether a defendant is liable for damages suffered by victims and surviving family members. As with other types of civil injury claims, families who bring these suits must prove the defendant negligently caused their loved one’s death, or is otherwise responsible under liability laws.
For example, someone may be liable for wrongful death when they:
- Were negligent in causing the victim’s death, such as by causing a fatal car accident.
- Are a health care provider who failed to meet the standard of care (medical malpractice) when treating the victim, resulting in death.
- Are a manufacturer or other commercial entity responsible for a defective product.
- Owned property that had unaddressed hazards which led to a visitor’s death.
- Intentionally assaulted or murdered the victim.
A compassionate attorney from our team can provide the representation you need when you have suffered the loss of a family member. If the fatality was the result of a drunk driving accident, elder neglect, or any other negligent or wrongful act, taking immediate legal action can ensure your attorneys have time to investigate and prepare a solid case.
FREE Consultations for Families Across the Islands
At Bostwick & Peterson LLP, we understand what a difficult experience this may be for you. Our legal team has cultivated a legacy of winning complex personal injury, malpractice, and wrongful death claims, and is passionate about fighting for families seeking justice.
The important thing is that you don't have to face this situation alone. We can advise you regarding your legal options and help you take swift action against the party who caused your loss.
Learn more about pursuing justice through a wrongful death action. Contact us for a FREE consultation with a Hawaii wrongful death attorney.
Invitation-only organization of the top 100 plaintiff trial lawyers in the U.S.
Former President of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, limited to the top 500 trial lawyers in the U.S.
James S. Bostwick and Erik L. Peterson have been named top-rated medical malpractice attorneys.
An invitation-only group of top trial lawyers in the nation.
James Bostwick is a nationally certified medical malpractice specialist and founding member.
Recognized since its inception in 1983 by this peer-reviewed publication, comprised of the best legal talent in the world.
Recognized for professional excellence with impressive ratings from clients and peers.
James Bostwick & Erik Peterson are listed in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
An exclusive group limited to less than 1% of U.S. attorneys who have won multi-million dollar results.
James Bostwick inducted into the Hall of Fame and featured among the Top 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America.